Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Slip Sliding Away

Isn't it funny how something as trivial as a common cold can make you feel so utterly wretched?

Having run just 13 miles in the last 2 weeks, eaten badly, slept poorly, crossed 8 time zones and then come back again, I really shouldn't be surprised at feeling under the weather.

Image found here

I'm trying not to be too paranoid about my fitness level slipping slowly but surely from pretty good to average to poor. To be honest, I spent the latter part of last year feeling somewhat smug: I had achieved a PR half marathon, was running 3-4 times a week, doing weight training twice and yoga once. Right now I'm not sure I could jog a mile and I'm feeling extremely guilty at not having done one single knee exercise while I was in England.

The plan: be kind to myself while I kick this cold, and then get firmly back on track. After all, it's only 9 months to marathon day! As we say in England - Crikey.

4 comments:

  1. It is amazing how quickly it all goes away! I am going through the same thing. You will get back to it, just be patient! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, got sick last week and it has seriously messed up my running schedule :/ We also got a puppy and that has messed with my schedule too.... Hope you get well soon! Rest up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it annoying how you always seem to get 3 steps forward and 2 back (or 2.5) - over and over again? I have decided that's just the way of things, even I suspect for the pros. We took running kit to Italy and Bill managed one run - I managed none. It was just far too hot and we walked for hours and hours each day. On the days we moved to the next location, I walked or stood for quite a while with a big backpack, so my legs are quite sore (but not, thankfully, my back). I'm hoping to spring around my course this evening, being so light without the burden and so strong for having lugged it...dream on, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe, just maybe, you were asking a little too much of your body!?
    Thank you for stopping by at My French Country Home, sorry you missed the link up, maybe another time!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin