Friday, December 18, 2009

All I want for Christmas is a healthy pair of knees

Ooh, I love a good spreadsheet. As you might imagine, entering a marathon was a wonderful excuse for drawing up training plans, pace calculations, and what-if scenarios.

Unfortunately when I started all this, I didn't really expect to be doing the spreadsheet to figure out just how long can I rest my knee without kissing Napa goodbye. It turns out, Excel has spoken, and if I don't start trotting this weekend, with a LSD run next weekend, it ain't gonna happen.

With this in mind, I took myself down to Fleet Feet in Menlo Park, much beloved amongst local pavement-pounders for their friendly, helpful (miracle-working?) staff. I left the store $20 lighter and the owner of a Pro-Tec Patellar Tendon Strap. What the heck, it's worth a try, right? I'm heading for the track a little later to do just a couple of miles and see what happens.

But don't worry, I'll be careful. I've received some wonderful advice here about the importance of perspective and that I may be looking at one marathon versus the rest of my life. Sounds kinda scary when put like that.

Although, Santa, if you could return the Tiffany earrings and BMW convertible, and pop a couple of new knees down the chimney instead, it'd be much appreciated. Cheers.

Photo thanks: Pro-Tec Athletics, and please note, that's not my hairy knee.

7 comments:

  1. I dunno I think those Tiffany earrings and BMW will go perfect with the new knees, I'm rooting for you.
    Kathy (who's son in stranded in Frankfurt (I blame the British weather) haha)).

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did the knee strap work for you? I see people running in those all the time--they must be working! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asha, I guess I wrote the next post around the same time you left this comment. Thanks for asking: the strap is quite possibly my new best friend, at least for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought about taking up running for a long time. Whenever I see someone running, I want to do it too, but I don't know how to build up to it. Are the hills of San Francisco the best place to start? I'll read more of your posts to see if you have suggestions for newbies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lori, I'll look for an email address for you, but no, I would say the hills of SF are a terrible place to start! If you can get yourself down to the flat path along Crissy Field you'll enjoy it much more. And if you're starting out, you probably want to alternate a gentle jog with some walking to recover - maybe a minute of each? Don't panic if you can't even jog a mile; I promise it gets easier!
    There is great advice on many sites, including this Couch to 5k program.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! What a great group, I fanned them on FB. Looking forward to trying this out. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin