Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Re-thinking of Goals

My goodness, how can half the year be gone already? As I trotted a very modest 7 miles on Saturday (only just over a quarter-marathon, how tame!) I was thinking how this year has not quite gone to plan.

My goals for 2010 included:
  • running my first marathon...
  • ....alongside my husband
  • and completing a half marathon in under 2 hours.
Oh dear. Best laid plans and all that. Instead, I'm now praying hard that I'll be healthy enough to run a single once-this-lifetime marathon next year, and I've kicked any ideas of speed out the window, in favor of good, solid knees. One day, sure, I'd like to break 2 hours for the half, but until I get 26.2 under my belt, I'll settle quite happily for a slow jog, if that's what it takes to get round.

As for Beloved Husband (my trusty wing-man), his knees are also giving him grief and he's not running at all at the moment. We're both hopeful that with some care and rest, he'll bounce back, but I have to be prepared for the possibility that I'll be running entirely on my own for the next few hundred miles. (That'll teach me to sign us both up for things without checking with him first!)

So, not exactly a stellar year in terms of fitness goals. But the strange thing is, I'm OK with it. Every time I go out and manage more than 3 or 4 miles without pain, I'm grateful to be able to run at all. And I firmly believe that if I build up really gradually, there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to do a 26 mile course within the 6-hour limit. Everything else can simply wait.

How are your 2010 fitness goals going?

Photo thanks: Sanja Gjenero

2 comments:

  1. Why is it we always seem to schedule a holiday just before a big race? Not in the 'taper' phase, mind, in the 'most important part of the training schedule...those last few meaningful long runs' phase. And of course I brought back a couple of extra pounds from my Italian holiday. Our race is about a half marathon and includes 3 beaches; the distance varies from year to year depending upon the tides. The finish is on 2 miles of beach and if I have to do it on soft sand - like the last time - I will be very unhappy! How that goes will decide whether I start moving to hills and speed work or if I just stick with plodding the miles and trying to lose weight...or taking up Chinese Checkers instead!

    I know several people whose knees have ruined their running, one who had surgery twice to no avail. It's just one of those things, I guess. Glad you're able to still enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmmm, I'm doing butter...I mean better :) If I compare myself to what I was just 5 years ago, I've gone downhill. If I compare myself to 6 months ago, I'm improving. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin