Monday, October 4, 2010

Rude Awakenings

OK, I need your help.

What tips do you have for stumbling out of bed in the darkness for early morning running, rather than turning the alarm clock off and grabbing another half hour of sneaky snooze time?

I prefer to do my shorter runs around 6AM, because then the rest of the day's distractions can't get in the way. Also, it just seems more efficient to shower only once :)

However, I doubt anyone in the northern hemisphere has missed the fact that the days are getting distinctly shorter. And I'm really struggling to lug myself out from under the duvet, which means a few runs are not happening, or I lose a chunk of time from the other end of the day - also not good.

I did think about getting one of those alarm clock lamps which gradually get brighter before it's time to wake up, but Beloved Husband was concerned that this habit, once learned, would wake me up at 4AM in summer, too. It would be nice if I could find a method for getting me out of bed (and out the door in the darkness), without disturbing his last few minutes of sleep too much.

Any suggestions? When and how do you fit in your winter-time runs?

Image thanks: Upcast Magazine

3 comments:

  1. I struggle with the same issue. I don't know how I would do it if San Diego had weather like the rest of the country in fall/winter too... today was rainy and dreary, so my friend and I skipped track practice to go get a bowl of soup. I envy you and your determination to run in the morning. Question: do you eat before those early morning runs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented earlier about putting running kit next to the bed and bringing it into bed to warm it up; not sure where that one went. Dawned (no pun intended) on me later that going to bed earlier is another of those more obvious answers. Since my first stop out of bed is the loo, putting the clothes on the radiator in there is another trick that has worked for me and let Bill sleep longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelley, these are brilliant, I love them! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin