Monday, January 11, 2010

Waiting and Resting

I realize this blog has gone rather quiet, but I'm basically lurking and waiting for my self-imposed knee-resting period to pass. I picked a rather arbitrary 6 weeks, so around Valentine's Day I plan to start trotting gently again and hope my knee shows renewed enthusiasm.

This weekend was the first in ages where I did nothing more active than go for a walk. It seemed very strange not to be stumbling out of bed to put some kind of fitness gear on. I guess I should make the most of it as I'm sure the day will come when I'm doing 20 miles in the rain and longing for the sofa :)

Photo thanks: Benjamin Earwicker

5 comments:

  1. Are you doing knee strength work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually doing quad strength work, as apparently weak quads are a major cause of Runner's Knee.
    But I could and should be doing more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leg presses made a difference for me...if that helps at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd definitely say replace your regular running routine with knee strengthening. Building up your leg muscles is really the best way to remedy Runner's knee. And please believe me when I say it should be at the top of your to-do list. I wish someone drilled it into me when my knees were just starting to hurt.

    I'd say work your quads, hamstrings (weak hamstrings are culprit, too), hips, and glutes. Biking while you're taking off from running can really help build key leg muscles. Please shoot me an e-mail, and I'll send you some info my PT had me do to build the muscles needed to support the knee.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin