I've signed myself and Beloved Husband up to run in the Napa Valley Marathon in March 2010. Ooh-ee. No going back now! I haven't told him yet - do you think he'll be OK with it?
I knew there was no way I would take all this seriously unless there was an actual date in the calendar and money committed. I'm just not one of these people that can train for something hypothetical.
The good news is:
- The course is very slightly downhill
- There's usually a tail wind
- You get 6 hours before (oh shame), a stragglers bus comes to scoop you up and deliver you to the finish
- The event seems pretty small and friendly
- It's a point to point course, the only way is forwards!
- A March marathon means training in the winter - dark and wet runs are likely
- Race day itself could be really foul weather
- I'm expecting there will be far fewer supporters on the course, compared with San Francisco.
Photo thanks: Napa Valley Marathon 2009.