I'm now about half way through my self-imposed running break and am eagerly awaiting the day when I can start trotting gently again. It feels like a good moment to reflect on what this episode has taught me:
- Don't sign up for an event until you're fairly sure you have the necessary fitness level.
- Especially don't sign your husband up without asking him :)
- Keep a running diary (whether old-tech or hi-tech) and pay attention to any niggling pains.
- There's a good reason they tell you not to increase your distance more than about 10% per week.
- It's probably better to slightly under-train than slightly over-train. Or, as Asha wisely commented here, sometimes getting to the start line is the hardest part.
- There's always someone out there with a more severe injury than you.
- Sometimes, all the work in the world just isn't destined to give results.
Photo thanks: Samuel Ducroquet