Friday, October 29, 2010

I Need a Hedgehog Ramp

This might be my most cryptic blog title every - my apologies. Allow me to elaborate.

In the UK, especially in rural areas, like the part of Scotland where I spent some of my childhood, we have things called cattle grids. These are deep pits with a sort of rack laid across them, placed at strategic points where cars and pedestrians are allowed through, but livestock should not venture . Basically, their hooves can't negotiate the slats and so savvy sheep and cows stay on the correct side. (As a child, there was a memorable moment where I fell down between these slats with my tiny feet, but that's another story.)


Anyway, these ingenious devices pose a terrible hazard to hedgehogs, who seem to fall in there quite often and then can't get out. I assume that means a slow and sad death for these creatures. Happily, many caring cattle grid owners are now installing ramps to allow our prickly friends to climb out of their predicament.



Right now, there is more than a touch of hedgehog-in-the-hole about me. My running was already getting less attention than it deserved - excuses like dark mornings and a (useful, important) hunt for a new career were creeping in. Then I added getting really, really tired.... house guests.... obligatory extra shifts at work... and finally, a stinking cold. I don't believe I've done any exercise for 2 weeks; my nutritional intake is currently appalling and all I want to do is knock back another flu remedy and snuggle in bed.

I'm totally in the cattle grid and could really use a ramp round about now. Tomorrow, I'm planning a short run (or a run-walk, if necessary) and I need to start chowing on some serious fruit and veg, rather than Halloween candy.


Have you any suggestions for easy, nutritious, comfort food? This hapless hedgehog thanks you.

3 comments:

  1. - tomatoes, celery, red & yellow bell peppers (and any other salad items you love, but esp. peppers with Vitamin C) sprinkled with vinegar, salt and olive oil. Soak up remaining dressing with piece of bread *for ease and health*

    - roast veg in olive oil (esp potatoes for comfort & peppers for health) *for health & comfort*

    - peel & slice a potato or 2 and boil (or nuke, to make it faster); cover cooked potatoes with milk (skimmed even) made yellow with butter or margarine and bring just but not quite to the boil. salt & pepper to taste. *this is my mom's version of chicken soup - for comfort* (official studies have shown potatoes to be THE comfort food.)

    You'll get back there - try something different for a change and make sure you get over your cold first! Sometimes new running kit motivates me, other times just a new schedule or joining in a yoga or aerobic class for fun. Running is hard work if your head isn't into it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mushroom soup is my favorite: pick out 3-5 different types of mushrooms at the store (Get about 3-4 cups worth). Clean and chop. Put in crock pot and simmer with a couple small chopped potatoes in broth, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and any other spices you like. Once the mushrooms are cooked (remove bay leaf) use a handmill and puree the hot mushrooms. Add a little cream and stir. It's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much! Asha, I absolutely adore mushrooms and Shelley, I had forgotten how easy and tasty roasted veg can be.
    I definitely need more soup in my life!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin