Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Cheer up Sleepy Jean

After last week's euphoria, I was expecting this week's training runs to be more enjoyable than in fact they were.

On Monday morning I did intervals, aiming for 5 half miles at 8.5 minute pace, interspersed with half miles at 10.5 minute pace. I was over on the first two of those (my excuse is I couldn't see the watch in the darkness), but I dunno the real reason. Considering there are gazillions of runners who can easily do faster than an 8 minute mile, I feel pretty stodgy by comparison.

Today I did 5 miles at 10 minute pace, which was fine, but it felt a bit harder than I would have liked. Maybe the lack of pelican sighting was a factor. :)

I'm probably being a bit impatient in expecting sudden and dramatic improvements in my ability, which clearly are not going to materialize out of thin air.

Photo thanks: Leslie Collingridge

1 comment:

  1. I just saw that you had started up this blog. That is awesome of you to attempt a marathon! How exciting.

    I can barely manage a 5 mile jog right now. My dad wants to get back into running, so I've committed to doing the Couch to 5k plan with him. There's a 5K in early October that I should be able to get myself into shape for. After that my goal is to work up to the 10K. Not sure whether I'd ever attempt more than that, though.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin