Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Forget about the Christmas song: I am officially declaring the next 8 weeks the best possible time of the year for runners. Why? Well, in the northern hemisphere at least, we are now enjoying fantastic amounts of one of the world's most precious resources: daylight.

Today I was up at 5:30 and out of the house to run well before 6. The day was waking up with a soft but clear grey light. The breeze was cool, the wildlife was plentiful but unperturbed by me trotting past. My three miles were slow but painless; I was energized rather than tired.

Does it get any better than that?

On the small chance you are reading this blog and have never tried running, I urge you to seize these long days and get out there. For those of us who love to jog, trot or sprint, it really is the most wonderful time of the year.

Photo thanks: Craig Goodwin

2 comments:

  1. Well done! I would guess you'd notice daylight hours more than most, having experienced Britain's short days and long days. Pleased you were able to enjoy your run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that picture. And, I agree. It's so nice to get off work and know that I can take my sweet time to get to my run before the sun goes down. On the flip side, if I wanted to run at 5:30 or 6am-- the world is starting to wake up at that time too. Nice.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin